Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Touches of Fall







I absolutely LOVE the fall.  I got married in the fall.  I love apple crisps and cobblers.  I love hot tea.  I love the crisp breezy weather. I love the changing colors of leaves.  I love the look of bright orange pumpkins.  I love the colors of fall-the deep reds and rusts, browns and golden yellow.  I love to decorate for the fall; I have to confess, I may even love decorating for fall more than for Christmas. This year, however, I have fallen seriously behind. Time has definitely gotten away from me.  Perhaps having an 18 month old and 3 month old have something to do with it. Perhaps trying to keep my house straightened up, much less clean, has been hard enough. How do I decorate the buffet if it's always covered in junk?  Perhaps having only a few weeks to prepare for my first craft show has taken precedence. I decided today, though, I just HAD to decorate, telling myself "better late than never" and "a little is better than none".  This year I did things a little different.  I did NOT do a fall centerpiece for our dining room table. "Why not?", you ask yourself. Because half our table has been covered in fabric and sewing projects for close to 2 weeks and I have a feeling it will stay that way until the craft show.  The other half of the table is for eating on.  This year instead of doing anything major, I got out my "fall" box from the attic and I added "Touches of Fall" around the house (a lot of which ended up being outside since we've been out there SO much lately). This is just what I got done this afternoon.  Perhaps more will come later...

Some explanations of the pictures: I wanted something more fallish than our striped outdoor throw pillows.  I'd bought cloth napkins on clearance for like 50 cents each years ago and never even used them.  They were the perfect size to make pillow cases!  Dan brought home the mum for me the other day--he wanted to get me flowers, but mums were cheaper than cut flowers and they last longer.  He knows me so well!  At the thrift store the other day I bought very large glass jars for 99 cents each. The lids were a little rusty, but I figured I'd just spray paint them.  For now, they're housing some fall stuff--garland and pinecones.  The grapevine wreath is always on our front door, I just change the "embellishments" depending on the season for 2 reasons: I'm too cheap to have multiple wreaths and don't want to have to worry about storage.  I added an orange placemat under our "coffee station" to add some color to our counter.

I hope you're inspired to at least add some "Touches" to your home.

2 comments:

The Sinks said...

hehe, thanks for the pictures!

Krisha said...

love, love LOVE the fall touches you've added to your lovely abode. You are always so creative and I love seeing your creativity at work!! My favorite you ask? I dunno, possibly all of it! I do like the mums and the cushions on your chairs and the glass jar with pinecones. :)