Here at the Jordan house, we love Mac-n-Cheese!! And, yeah, it's easy to just use the stuff from the box, but as I'm sprinkling the powdered "cheese" or squeezing it from a tube, I'm a little weirded out. So, I'm constantly on the lookout for a good, fairly easy and inexpensive, from scratch recipe. So far, this one is the winner AND supposedly it freezes well...so, make an extra batch (or 2) and the next time or 2 it'll be even easier than opening a box and squeezing the cheese from the pouch! Unfortunately we gobbled it up so fast that I didn't think to take a picture...
"Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese"
Serves 4 (I'd say it makes 6 side dish servings)
Ingredients:
8 oz of macaroni
4 T butter
4 T flour
1 c. milk
1 c. cream
1/2 t salt
black pepper to taste
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup buttered breadcrumbs (I used 1/2 sleeve of ritz crackers, finely crumbled)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions, set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add flour mixture with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
4. Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly.
5. bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
6. Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) for 10 minutes. (I forgot this step and it turned out fine, so I guess you could skip it.)
7. Add shredded cheddar, a little at a time and simmer for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
8. Turn off heat.
9. Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
10. Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish.
11. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
12. Bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
YUMMIES!!
"Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese"
Serves 4 (I'd say it makes 6 side dish servings)
Ingredients:
8 oz of macaroni
4 T butter
4 T flour
1 c. milk
1 c. cream
1/2 t salt
black pepper to taste
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup buttered breadcrumbs (I used 1/2 sleeve of ritz crackers, finely crumbled)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions, set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add flour mixture with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
4. Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly.
5. bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
6. Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) for 10 minutes. (I forgot this step and it turned out fine, so I guess you could skip it.)
7. Add shredded cheddar, a little at a time and simmer for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
8. Turn off heat.
9. Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
10. Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish.
11. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
12. Bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
YUMMIES!!



1 comment:
So....we have something in our family called Mundy Pie. It's after my great great grandmother's who was a Mundy. It's a backed Mac N Cheese. It's AMAZING!!!! If you want the recipe I'll get it for you. :)
Post a Comment