Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentines Day!

First of all, Dan called me into Caedmon's room this morning and this is what I found.  Cute, huh?  Then, I went into the kitchen to find this (I'd set up the kids' gifts last night along with Dan's turtles and "Love" collage...but Dan surprised me with flowers, coffee, and a cookie jar I'd wanted:
 
We aren't usually big Valentines Day people.  Definitely not the stuffed animal/commercialized kind of people.  But this year I really wanted to make something for each kid.  (I think just because it was an excuse for me to sew something for them...)  I made Caedmon a quilt.  I pieced together fabric to make a neighborhood (grass, roads, train track, water and even boat docks) for him to use his cars, trucks, boats, and trains on.  The back is a striped fabric with 3 cars appliqued.  It has batting in the middle, so it's nice and thick to be able to use as an actual blanket, too.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out; and I think it's safe to say he likes it too: 

 
 
I was going to make Ansley a doll, but decided at the last minute to make her a book.  I like how it turned out but I'm definitely going to either add more pages or make her more books in the future bc I have a lot of ideas for more pages.  Here she is: 

We had church this morning and then ran errands, so the kids missed their naps.  I guess we'll have to put them to bed early and just spend the evening "alone".  I'm sure we'll enjoy our steaks, shrimp, wine(my 1st non-preggo Valentine's Day in 2 years), etc by ourselves...

I love Caedmon and Ansley more than I thought it possible, but I'm continuously reminded of my Lovey and the need for us to celebrate each other.  I'm reminded of our love daily and the need for us to enjoy our time dining just the two of us tonight, even if it's in our kitchen and we may be wearing jammies.  I love you, Dan!!


3 comments:

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

love. that. quilt. Seriously, it's fabulous! I'm hoping to learn to quilt soon, but that means first learning to cut fabric in a straight line... and sew it together in a straight line. :) Glad you had such a nice v-day.

Sarah Rose said...

Kimberly, SERIOUSLY? You are amazing. I am loving the quilt. We MISS YOU!

Dave and Melissa Jordan said...

I gave Dave Turtles for Valentine's Day too. They must be related :)

I know it is so important to get your "alone" time in together. I begged my mom to come babysit before the next snow hit us so Dave and I could go to dinner and a movie. So nice even if we did have to sit at the bar at Outback to avoid the 2 1/2 hour wait.